- RSS Channel Showcase 9005481
- RSS Channel Showcase 2459541
- RSS Channel Showcase 9621872
- RSS Channel Showcase 5421553
Articles on this Page
- 04/08/17--15:25: _Creative Kid: 3 Bea...
- 08/07/17--08:30: _Creative Kid: Princ...
- 08/22/17--16:33: _Creative Kid: Make ...
- 09/06/17--06:46: _Creative Kid: Story...
- 03/25/18--13:16: _Read & Make: Cloth ...
- 05/07/18--05:55: _Creative Kid: Ink D...
- 04/08/17--15:25: Creative Kid: 3 Bears Chairs
- 08/07/17--08:30: Creative Kid: Princess & the Pea
- 08/22/17--16:33: Creative Kid: Make a Mini Market
- 09/06/17--06:46: Creative Kid: Storybook Box House
- 03/25/18--13:16: Read & Make: Cloth Lullaby & Sashiko
- 05/07/18--05:55: Creative Kid: Ink Drinker Shoebox House
This year in my library (FYI: my day job is elementary school librarian), the kids are making a storybook house from cardboard boxes and recyclables. Every week we add a room–Jack’s beanstalk-green bedroom, Little Red’s ruby-hued bachelorette pad, etc. Right now we’re working on the Three Bears’ kitchen, where a golden-curled interloper slurps up soup and breaks […]
Who wouldn’t awake, hobbled with aches, after sleeping on this perfect pea? Even with the assorted mattresses, 22 in all? I promised to post photos of the cardboard box storybook house the grade schoolers made in my library this year. And only months later, I’m keeping my word! Each room was paired with a fairy […]
homemadecityThe Pea.jpgThe PeaThe pea.jpgthepea.jpg
I haven’t made anything with matchboxes in a while, so I was overdue. This mini market was inspired by something similar (I think) that I spotted in the wilds of the internet but then couldn’t find again. Maybe it was just a dream (but a very particular and miniature kind of dream). This tiny marketplace […]
homemadecitymini market by homemadecity.com
Here is the shoebox house the kids made in my library from scraps and bits last year. We are back in school (as of yesterday) and ready to resume construction. Each room represents a different fairy tale. You may be able to discern these tell-tale details: Jack’s room (from his beanstalk) The candy-laden gingerbread kitchen […]
This book. I’m not sure which is more beautiful: the words or the pictures. Cloth Lullaby: The Woven Life of Louise Bourgeois (written by Amy Novesky; illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault) was published a couple of years ago, but my appreciation for its cross-hatched reds and blues hasn’t abated, nor has my admiration for its quiet telling […]
In our school library, we’re back at it–creating new shoebox rooms to go with our favorite stories. Last year we made a fairy-tale themed high-rise. This spring we used a mishmash of recyclables to make a crypt (and aboveground graveyard!) for the Ink Drinker, Eric Sanvoisin’s ink-slurping, book-swilling vampire. The Ink Drinker, a book about […]